Tuesday, September 18, 2012

One year later! Woah

Today, one year later from the day I left my American life behind and embarked on a Spanish adventure, I can honestly say that while I miss my study abroad life, I am happy where I am...and I did not expect that.  I am okay, and the transition back to Denver and college life was easier than I thought it would be.  I have great memories of my 8 months in Spain, but 8 months was the perfect amount of time, for me.   Now I feel silly for being so incredible anxious about re-entering DU college life.

Since I have been back at school I have had a lot of people ask me if I miss Spain.  The answer is complex and multidimensional, yet it's simple.

Of course I miss my friends in Salamanca. Of course I miss speaking and hearing Spanish everyday.  I miss my long walk to and from Salamanca's famous Plaza Mayor, and I miss the yummy, home cooked meals that my host mother would feed me twice a day.  I miss being able to buy a plane ticket to Paris or Budapest or Copenhagen then exploring those new cities and experiencing something totally foreign and new.  Most of all, I miss the simplicity of my life in Salamanca, because other than classwork (which was quite easy), I had essentially no responsibilities.

As I have learned not only this past year, but in my college experience, time can be unfairly fleeting, and some days I do not know where the past three years went.  But these transitions have helped me define myself.  Coming back from Salamanca was a transition, yes...but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.  I came out of it a changed and different person.

Because though my past weekend was  plagued with grocery shopping, challenging senior-year coursework readings, and trying to answer the age-old question of "What are you going to do when you graduate?,"  and I did not go on a weekend getaway to the Cliffs of Moher or have an intercambio with an Alberto or Miguel or Lara, that's okay with me.  In fact, I am excited for this year and for this next chapter in my life to unfold.

Bluntly put, yes, I miss Spain.  I remember it in the nostalgic way I remember my old high school friends, or the year I went to summer camp when I was 9, or my carefree Vermont childhood.  But we cannot go back in time.  I left Spain having had accomplished (almost) everything I wanted to do, and that is a good feeling.  Living in Spain gave me the chance to redefined myself and get lost in a foreign culture, and I figured a few things out along the way.  I miss it, but I am where I am supposed to be.

1 comment:

  1. Dear A Year in Salamanca,

    Your site http://myyearinsalamancaspain.blogspot.com/ has been brought to our attention because of its interesting travel related content. We are contacting you with a unique offer to monetize it as a HotelTravel.com affiliate partner.

    HotelTravel.com is keen to establish a working relationship with sites like yours to help expand our reach and entice your visitors with addition information about hotels and travel related tips. In the process it will help increase traffic to both our website and give you the chance to earn extra cash.

    So if you are looking for a ground breaking affiliate opportunity that will generate easy money (a minimum of US$200 in the first year / PayPal)
    with generous commissions (4% to 8% with no processing fees) and cost per click benefits, go to http://www.hoteltravel.com/partner/index.aspx for more details.

    If that sounds interesting then HotelTravel.com would be keen to hear back from you as soon as possible.
    You can also email us at affiliates@hoteltravel.com or contact me directly.

    We look forward to hearing from you in the near future.


    Sincerely,

    ReplyDelete