Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bienvenida a Madrid! And Toledo

So far, so good! I have really enjoyed my first few days in Spain. Felt awful the first 24 hours, since I was jetlagged and stayed up to tour around Madrid, but now I'm all caught up!  I'm with 30 other kids who will also be on the ISA program in Salamanca, 9 of which are other DU students, the rest from various American universities.  

My first day in Madrid was a blur! We all took a bus tour of the city, then I spent my free time walking through a park close to the hotel and watching young Spanish boys play futbol.  


In front of the hotel in Madrid:


Friday, it seemed that I never stopped walking.  I probably logged 10 miles walking around Madrid! In the morning the group took a guided tour of the Mueso del Prado, which was awesome, but overwhelming in a big group.  We had a Spanish guide who told us about the artwork in Spanglish, so it was a good opportunity to practice listening to Spanish.  At the Prado there was so much Christian-inspired artwork; a lot of Jesus's nailed on a cross, and a lot of old Spanish kings and queens.  All very beautiful and old.  Later on we met up at the Royal Palace, across the city, and had another tour. Very similar to Versailles, in Paris, in terms of old art and over-the-top decoration.  With over 2,500 rooms it's incredible to think that it was once a functioning "government" center!

Went out for drinks Friday night, and seeing the city come alive at night was amazing. The city felt so different without the big tour groups, schoolchildren with their mothers, and all the formal businessmen.  At night, most of the shops were closed, but that's when the bars and clubs opened up.  The day-timers were replaced with younger, handsome Spanish men and well-dressed Spanish women.  It wasn't until at least 1am that bars and clubs started to get busy; I just can't believe these people stay up partying until 5 am, but some people in our group did, so I guess it'll just be sometime to get used to!  I'm excited to get to Salamanca, though, where it won't be quite so big and expensive (and dangerous!).


Wandering the streets of Madrid at sunset:

Today, Saturday, we woke up early and said goodbye to Madrid.  Very much regretted having to lug around my 2 suitcases and big backpack 2 blocks from the hotel to the bus; next time I'm packing lighter! 45 minutes later we arrived in Toledo, the old capital city, which sits on the top of a hill.  It was built 200 years before the birth of Christ, by the Romans, so needless to say, it's a very, very old city, with a lot of history. The group toured a couple churches and an old synagogue. Again, I felt like an ugly American being in a huge tour group as we overtook whatever place we went to and snapped photos and spoke in English; plus we all stick out with our American clothes!  It felt less weird in Toledo, though, since it's such a touristy city.  However, I can't wait until I feel more like a European! 


The ISA group in Toledo (me in the red...looking very American. Whoops!) : 

A view of Toledo:



All in all, it's been fun getting to know other students who will be in Salamaca with me, but I plan on breaking off and doing my own thing once in Salamcana. I came here to learn the language and meet the people, and I'm afraid that if I stick with Americans, my Spanish won't improve.  While traveling Madrid, especially, I definitely felt like an ugly American being in a giant group, speaking in English, and sticking out like a sore thumb. It wasn't a bad way to ease into the next 8 months, however, and I do feel as though I have a much better understanding of Spanish history.  Very excited to meet my host family tomorrow afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment