Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Change is in the air

It's that time of the year; finals week. Classes are winding down, the holidays are right around the corner, and people are getting antsy and ready to go home.  Can I just say: WHAT?! WHERE did the past 12 weeks go? It feels like I landed in the Madrid maybe a month ago.

This means that my group, Fall 4, heads back to the good ol' US of A on December 17th.  Everyone, that is, except for me and a few other students who have decided to stick it out for a whole year. It's sad, saying goodbye. This is something I am not looking forward to.  So, I planned a trip to visit Copenhagen and Norway to see a really good friend who lives in Norway; can't wait!  I am going to stay with her family for Christmas, so I won't be too lonely.

As people transition into the "Goodbye Spain" phase, the criticism becomes more and more prevalent.  Here's the most popular complaints I've heard:
     -It's impossible to study at home;
     -I'm sick of tight living spaces & my roommate;
     -I'm tired of weird Spanish food;
     -These classes are so easy, and there's unclear standards;
     -I always get cat-called from boys and it is annoying!;
     -The girls here are not friendly (Spanish women...); and finally,
     -I'M BROKE!
  
Toward the end, people tend to be more critical. What was once easy to brush off gets more and more annoying, especially with the stress of finals. I think everyone is still sad to go; it will be a sad, bitter-sweet goodbye in the airport on Saturday morning.  Everyone is excited to get back to their families and friends and boyfriends, but they're leaving SPAIN and ending the most insane semester of their lives.

To all my friends in Spain: After the crazy parties and sneaking into your apartment early in the morning --- what will your legacy be?? How will you remember Salamanca?

THIS is what I have been asking myself: I'm about halfway through, so, what am I doing here, and what do I want to change second semester?  How can I make Salamanca even better???

My goals for second semester:

-GET BETTER AT SPANISH! To do so, I will:
-Write in my journal...but in Spanish. Because what a challenge!
-Listen to more Spanish music and news podcasts than I do in English
-Learn a new word everyday
-Write more letters (to my friends: send me your address!)

-And most importantly: BLEND IN MORE!!!!!!!

Through my observations, this is how it's done: ADVICE FOR NEWBIES! Take this cum grano salis:

To blend in as a Spaniard in Salamanca:
-Be conscious of how quickly you walk. People here walk here as a comfortable, easy pace, not rushed and hurried like some Americans do (ie, me)
-Dress classy and comfortably. But not so comfortable that you're in sweats, sneakers, and a fleece.  Leggings are okay with leather boots, a fleece with a cute headband and jeans, and sneakers...only if they're Nike or something fancy. But, never all together...
-Oh, and people here do wear Uggs. But it never snows here, so what's the point? 
-SCARVES ARE KEY! Trust me. And they keep you nice and warm!
-Language: nothing makes you stick out more than speaking in English, especially loudly. If you must speak in English, do so in hushed voices and in small groups.
-Be aware of the bars you frequent. You know those bars where you feel as though you could be in America? The ones that have American names, and where they play American music and maybe even play American TV and organize beer pong? Ask yourself: did you come all they way here to pretend like you're in America? 
-Make Spanish friends. It's hard. It's awkward. But who cares! It's so worth it! I promise your Spanish will get 1,000x better.
-Eat late. Walking home tonight I saw a family starting their meal in a restaurant at 11:45 pm. This is normal. It feels weird at first, but you'll adapt.

Even though I still have 5 more months here, it's already gone by so quickly.  First semester is practically over, marking the end of my first chapter here in Salamanca. ¡Qué triste!  On the flip-side, this makes me happy I still have more time.  Hearing all of them talk about how excited they are for home cooked meals, Starbuck's, American TV, their cars, etc.....well, I get pangs of jealously. But it's made me fall back in love with Spain. I'm excited to keep exploring and traveling and meeting new people!

No comments:

Post a Comment