Tuesday, December 20, 2011

København & Oslo

After saying goodbye to everybody in the Madrid airport Saturday morning, I hopped on a plane and headed up to Copenhagen, Denmark.  Known for being the happiest city in the world, I was thrilled when I woke up Sunday morning to snow! I walked around all morning in sheer bliss, enjoying the snow.  Later that day I did a free guided tour, which lasted about 3 hours.  Afterwards, at the advice of my guide, I took the subway a few stops down and stepped off the train to arrived in Malmö, Sweden, where I ate dinner at a small restaurant.  It was pretty much the same as Copenhagen, just with less people.  AND, people spoke Swedish rather than Danish!

Which was beautiful to listen to.  Swedish, when spoken, sounds like people singing, whereas Danish (according to my friend Thea) sounds like there's a potato stuck in the back of your throat.  You might be wondering if I was traveling alone? Why yes, in fact, I was; and it was the most relaxing two days I've had in a while! I simply wandered the busy streets of Copenhagen, taking in all the Christmas cheer and admiring the colorful buildings. I went out to eat by myself, engrossed in the book I'm reading, "Water for Elephants" (I know I'm way behind---but if you haven't read it yet, check it out!).

And the BIKES! I forgot to mention the bikes! The streets were littered with heaps and heaps of bikes!  From speedy looking road bikes to mom-bikes, equipped with strollers, to trendy 60's style bikes, I was amazed that people were still biking despite the freezing cold.
There were babies strapped onto bikes, stuffed into puffy onepiece snow suits, and women wearing high heels and stiff looking jackets, biking to and from work.

Everybody here bikes!  How eco-friendly.

Monday afternoon, after checking out of my hotel, backpack strapped and camera in hand, I headed toward the north of Copenhagen to check out he Little Mermaid statue.  HC Anderson, the writer of numerous children's books such as "The Little Mermaid," and "Make way for Ducklings," lived and wrote in this Danish city, so there's numerous restaurants and hotels named in honor of him.  It was easy to pick out the statue, as there were herds of tourists mingling around, snapping pictures and enjoying the view of the bay.

Afterwards, I kept on trucking and eventually made my way to the sea port, where I waited to get on my cruise ship.  DFDS Seaways has 16-hour cruises that go from Copenhagen up to Oslo, so rather than pay for another night at a hostel and for a plane ticket, I decided back in October to buy a ticket to cruise on up to Norway!  I thought of it as a Christmas present to myself; plus, I've always wanted to go on a ship, and it was about the same cost as a plane ticket and another night at my hostel.  And I am sure glad I decided to do this: by Monday afternoon, my throat was sore, my neck stiff, and my head throbbing, probably from walking around in the snow and rain all day Sunday.

On the boat leaving Copenhagen!
My boat, on the left, against the Olso sunrise
So, thanking the heavens I was given a small, single room, I curled up in the puffy down comforter and watched 5 episodes of the office and slept, lulled to sleep by the rocking of the boat, until the Norwegian wake up call at 8am the next morning.  At 9:30 am, I got off the big ol' boat and was greeted by my good friend Thea, whom I know from DU.  Her family has been gracious enough to let my stay with them for the holidays...and what a treat it has been so far.  The big, puffy couches and thick, down pillows in their home are a welcomed change from the pathetic Spanish beds I have been sleeping on for so many months!

The day after tomorrow, we head up to the mountains to her cabin to celebrate Christmas with her family.

Christmas tree decorating with Melissa & Caleb!
I'm not too homesick, yet; more nostalgic.  I've been skyping with my family a lot too, which helps. In fact, I "helped" decorate the Christmas tree yesterday from my hotel in Copenhagen!  And it helps knowing that my dad and sister are coming to visit my in Madrid the 29th of December!

So guys, get ready for a whirlwind tour of my new home country :)

Here's some pictures from touring around Oslo with Thea.  Best part of the whole day? The elk burgers we had for lunch! And the puffy warm jacket she let me borrow. Quite necessary considering the high today was 22℉!  And so the sun rose around 9:30 am and set by 3:30, giving us only a few short hours of sunlight, with the sun hanging low in the sky.  Mom, I don't think you would make it here an entire winter!
In front of the royal castle of Oslo
Thea and I on the roof of the new opera house

No comments:

Post a Comment