Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Touchy Subject

So elections are happening here in a couple weeks, on November 20th (which also happens to mark the anniversary of Franco's death).  Because of this, we have been talking about Spain's history and about current politics in many of my classes.

Before moving in with our families here, we were warned by ISA not to bring up Franco, as it is a very sensitive subject to many Spaniards. Because despite all the improvements that may have happened during the 40 year rule, over 1 million people died under Franco's regime.  He took control after the Spanish Civil War in 1936 and remained in power until his death in 1975.  I've discussed politics with my host dad, but hadn't really asked about the past.

However, my host mom and I are pretty close. She calls me "mi hija" (daughter), and is very open with me about things she is going through (ie, her separation with her husband), and is always asking about what's going on in my life.  Therefore, deciding the risk was worth it, I asked my host mom at dinner tonight how she and her family felt about Franco while he was in power.

"You must realized, he did many good things.  For example, he built many nice homes in my small town, homes that might not be there today if not for Franco.  Also, he built many dams, and did many things to improve this country."  (translated into English)

She then went on to show me pictures of her town, and of the dams that were built under Franco's reign. Getting a little bit louder and more emotional, she explained to Gail and I that she was from a very small town, and without all changes that occurred, her town would still be where it was 50 years ago.  More importantly, she drilled on the fact that today, many farmers are not doing well economically, but when Franco was in power, they did much, much better for themselves.  From this, I understood that one of the benefits of nationalism is that while some people suffer (ie people from the Basq country and Cataluña), some people did well.

Montse is not interested in politics, nor does she like to follow current affairs and debate on such issues. Unlike her husband, she doesn't have much of an opinion what goes on with the EU and what happens with Spanish politics.  She tells Gail and I how she does not discuss politics with her exctended family; one of her uncles died under Franco's regime, and before Franco, during the Spanish Civil War, she had uncles who fought on opposing sides.  Still today, the past is real, and people haven't forgotten about Franco.

Here is a picture of Franco's face which is in the Plaza Mayor, defaced during elections:
(photo taken from http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonpiorno/522004043/)

No comments:

Post a Comment