Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I just ate WHAT?!

MORCILLA: it's what was for dinner a couple nights ago. It is a black patty, what I mistook for a Spanish version of a veggie burger, with the texture of paté...but it's not exactly the same. Ingredients include: bread, onions, pork fat, spices, and sangre de cerdo (blood of pig).  The pig blood, of course, is what gives it such rich flavor!  

I tried it, because I'll try anything that Montse cooks for me (she's a great cook), and surprisingly, I really enjoyed it!  Unfortunately, no personal picture, because I didn't really understand what exactly I was eating until it was all gone.

Taken from: http://sobrecanarias.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/morcilladulce_21.jpg
Meanwhile, here's a photo collection of typical meals that I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner:
What I always eat for breakfast
An extra fancy meal, usually served on a Sunday for lunch

Doesn't your mouth just water looking at all that yummy food?!

For most meals, I am served a vegetable, soup or salad, followed by a piece of meat with a piece of white bread (how I miss whole grain!!) Dessert is very healthy: I have the choice of a piece of fruit (orange, banana, or apple) or a small yogurt (there's vanilla, coca, fresa, lemon--yum!).  There's no snacking here between meals, so if I get hungry during the day (which I usually do) I'm on my own.  At first, this really frustrated me, not having access to a kitchen and being dependent on somebody.  But after having been gone for a month, traveling, I have gained a new appreciation for all the work it takes to prepare a good, balanced meal.  It has been SO NICE to come home at the same time everyday and to be served a warm, tasty meal, without having to worry!

First semester, I had to adjust to later meal times and different foods.  I mean, after 20 years of eating at almost the same time everyday, it was hard to switch to late lunches and dinners! Everything I was experiencing in Spain, from the sights to the language, was new and exciting and I was soaking it all in and digesting it all (pun intended :] ) A shift has occurred. Now, I definitely feel more like a local and less like a tourist.  I have my favorite foods, know the best bars, even have made a few Spanish friends, and know where to see the sunset.   

I can't believe that I almost didn't come back for second semester!

Back to food: If you come to Spain, especially Salamanca, I hope you enjoy jamón! This may be my next post...the art of serving ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment