Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Life moves pretty fast..."

This morning I was told that a former student from my high school passed away today. We were only friends my freshman year when we ran track together (or maybe it was middle school)....it seems like so long ago. Nick Booth was funny and very witty, and he always made me laugh.  We were always goofing around, and he didn't take life too seriously.  As a pretty shy, insecure teenager, Nick made me feel included.  Even if our friendship only lasted for a short time, I feel honored to have known him.  Life happens though, and we just grew out of touch.

Honestly, I haven't thought about him in years.  But in learning about his passing, my heart breaks. At 21, he was so young. I am so young.  We all think we have so much time ahead of us, but you never know what life has planned.  I think of the quote from Ferris Bueller: "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."


I don't want to take a second of my time spent here in Spain for granted.  It is the opportunity of a lifetime. I spent a lot of time and energy last semester stressing about whether I was making the right decision or not, trying to decide if I was really happy with my new life, and missing all the shenanigans back in Denver.  But at the end of the day, I was still here. So I'm going to make the most of it.  My time here is short.  So I will go forward and stop looking back.

RIP Nick; you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment