Monday, January 23, 2012

Sounds of Spain

Ai Se Eu Te Pago by Michel Teló: I CANNOT GET THIS SONG OUT OF MY HEAD! Literally, it has been playing non-stop at every restaurant, bar, and club in this city since September.  I had a nice break from it when I left for the holidays. But now I'm back, and so is this song.

It is a Brazilian song, made famous after Real Madrid soccer player Christiano Ronaldo danced in celebration to this song after scoring a goal.  Honestly, I have no idea what the lyrics mean, but it is SO CATCHY.  Confession: I finally caved in and bought it on itunes. UGH!

Check it out if you haven't heard it before!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOI6vQjz5qM

Some of the other music I'm listening to in Spain, in Spanish:
-Mi Tierra by Gloria Estefan
-Te Regalo by Carlos Baute
-Jugar Al Despiste, Cuerpo Triste, and Desempolvando by Estopa
-Muñeca De Trapo by La Oreja De Van Gogh
-Oye Mi Amor, Ana, Desapariciones, Cuando Los Angeles Lloren by Maná
-And much, much more, like Shakira, Juanes, and Pitingo.

The public library has a HUGE collection of music, so I'm slowly but surly building up my Spanish music collection. I love my library card!

Other sounds of Spain:
-Sound of my keys echoing in the marble-floor hallway at 3 am when I come home on the weekends.  My attempts at stifling the clanking as I turn the lock two times are usually pointless.
-The baby in the apartment next door, crying every now and then.
-Montse and Felix speaking in fast Spanish during meals.  Generally I can understand words, but not necessarily context, unless I ask questions.
-My host mom yelling at her daughter in Spanish about Lord-knows-what, and the daughter yelling back. (I hate being home on the weekends!)
-The infamous Salamanca violin player who plays anything from Mama Mia to Beethoven. His yellow, curly-haired dog is always curled up in a ball on a round mat right next to him, and, I'd like to think, enjoying the music.
-The street cleaners' bus scrubbing the stone streets in the wee hours of the morning as they spray and scrub the sidewalks from their mini busses.
-Children playing and laughing in the Plaza Mayor on warmer evenings, especially on weekends.
-My ringtone, which everybody and their brother has. It's the standard, most-annoying-song-you'll-ever-hear, so that when a phone rings in a store or in a restaurant, everybody reaches for their bag to see if it's them...and thinking about it now, it's stuck in my head!
-Rita yipping her head off in the afternoon, echoing in the courtyard of our apartment complex.
-Church bells!

No comments:

Post a Comment