Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Bird Just Pooped On My Shoulder

So I'm sitting on the steps of an old church, getting free Wifi from the McDonald's across the road, and a bird just pooped on my shoulder! But that's a sign of good luck, right?


I've been through literally every emotion since I got here. Except for being homesick, which I'm sure will come. Last night I was walking back home from the Plaza Mayor, thinking to myself, "there's NO WAY I can make it here for one year. I'll get sick of this small town, and the people, and the different food. This was such a stupid decision!"  I went home and scribbled angrily in my journal, then woke up this morning and felt great!

While I still have some reservations about staying here for a full year, that's something I'll have to think about more seriously in the upcoming weeks.

Doubts aside, classes are going well, and while I still don't understand 100% of what my professors say in class, I am finding that I can understand more and more as time goes on.  Academically, the classes aren't that challenging, and I'm definitely learning just as much in the classroom as I am out on the streets of Salamanca.  For example, my host mom taught me that "mariposas" means butterflies, and that "Chévere," a term I picked up in Ecuador (meaning "cool") has no meaning here. Instead people "qué guay."


Keepin' my eyes peeled for aggressive birds!




(PS: there were 2 posts in one day because my internet has been very sketchy the past few days! So sorry to overwhelm)

No comments:

Post a Comment