Saturday, October 29, 2011

That feeling of coming back home

Good news: My camera is back and running!  After taking an early bus to Madrid, navigating the Metro system to get to the Canons store, and attempting to explain my situation in Spanish (they eventually found somebody who could translate), I was able to get my camera repaired! And it was the same day, which I didn't expect. AND it didn't cost the 300 euro the originally estimated. So, I am a happy camper.

While I waited for my camera to be repaired, I wandered around until I found a small cafe on a side street. I snagged a booth in the back corner, from where I could watch all the people coming and going.  I bought a cup of coffee, curled up with my book, and read for two hours.  It was the most relaxing afternoon I have had in a while! After eating my bocadilla (a type of sandwich) that my host mom packed for me, I picked up my camera, found my way back to the Metro, called my friend Lauren and met up with her for churros con chocolate.

By 7pm, I was back on the bus on my way back to Salamanca. I slept during most of the two-and-a-half hour journey, and woke up as our bus got off the highway and started to slowed down. As I looked out the widow, I saw the Salamanca skyline all lit up.  It was beautiful; the church, especially, highlighted and towering above everything else.

I felt a sense of relief and comfort; it felt like coming back home.  I loved seeing Madrid again (I liked it much better second time around, actually!), and had a pleasant afternoon wandering the streets.  However, the more I travel and leave Salamanca, the more I like it.

It's trips like this that make me realize how lucky I am to call this small city home.

No comments:

Post a Comment