Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Second Guessing & Comparisons between Ecuador and Spain

I've been thinking a lot about the time I spent in Ecuador last winter.  I was in Quito, the capital, for 4 weeks, doing volunteer work with a program called UBECI.  I was living in the south of Quito, in one of the poorer parts of the city.  It was the first time I had really, truly experienced poverty.  I saw what it looked like, smelt like, and could only imagine the future for these children. I lived with other international volunteers and a host family, and spent my days going to different markets working with the children whose parents worked in the markets.

Skyline of Quito from downtown:


South America was incredible.  From the friendliness of the people to the beauty of the green, lush Andes mountains, I saw and experienced something new everyday.  I went to Mitad del Mundo (the middle of the world, ie the ecuador), rode up Teleferico and saw the city of Quito from the top of a mountain, experienced the nightlife, and took a 10 hour busride to see the Pacific Ocean in Montañita (a popular beach town).  When I wasn't having fun adventures, though, I was working with poor (mostly indigenous) Ecuadorian children.

At the most basic level, the volunteers provided childcare for the 15-20 children we would collect everyday.  Their parents were stuck sitting at a booth, day in and day out, where they would sell anything from meat and vegetables to used shoes and clothes.  This meant that after school (which got out in the early afternoon), these children had nowhere to go and nothing to do.   So to pass the couple hours we had with them, we played soccer, jumped rope, sang songs, and read books in English as well as Spanish.  While it was interesting and rewarding, I also felt like I could (and would) be easily replaceable.  Nevertheless, I am so grateful for the opportunity.  I laugh and cry thinking about everybody I met and all the things I saw and felt.


I was glad to say goodbye after 4 weeks and head home for Christmas in Vermont, but there was definitely some guilt associated with that.  How unfair was it that I could just come in, get a glimpse into the daily lives of these people, and leave 4 weeks later to go back to a life where happiness is (generally) based on material goods?

Last fall when I had to chose between South America and Spain, it was tough.  While I loved the South American people and culture, I wanted to see another part of the Spanish culture.  I decided not to study abroad in South America because I wanted the ability to travel and see Europe.  I had always dreamt about seeing Prague, Rome, Munich, Berlin, the Swiss Alps.  While there's so many places I want to see in South America (Machu Piccu, Buenos Aires, Patagonia, the Amazon!), I have to remember the advice that my mother has always told me when I get overwhelmed about traveling: "Those places are not going anywhere."

There's still time!

So why did I write all about my time in Ecuador, when I'm here in Spain? 1) Because, like I said, I'm making all these comparisons. And 2)  Because I'm feeling GUILTY for having chosen to live here instead of somewhere more culturally and economically diverse than the US.  I guess the main reason I chose Salamanca, Spain, was for the comfortability, affordability, safeness, and flexibility of the city and of ISA.  The first week has been amazing, and I'm starting to come down from my high.  As I reflect on my experiences so far, I'm second guessing myself as I compare my study abroad experience to my other DU friends that are living in other parts of the world.  Some people are doing amazing volunteer work, others are living in places they will probably never have the opportunity to see again! South Africa, Buenos Aires, India, China---I feel so boring for just being in Spain.

So I need to keep reminding myself that I am ME, and this is my own experience.  I am not just in Spain, I'm in Salamanca! I chose Salamanca for a reason---and I am so excited for what's to come.

Once again I am reminded by a quote: "Go forward with confidence in your dreams, and live the life you have imagined."


Here are some pictures from my time in Ecuador.  To me, they represent the huge contrasts and economic disparity that exist between Ecuador and Spain, yet you can still see many similarities.  I could not help but compare my time in South America to my time in Spain.

1) The apartments.  This is my apartment in Ecuador.  Similar to my apartment in Spain in that it also feels less "homey" than a spacious house in America with carptded floors, it was also very small and close knit.  However, as you can see, the basic utilites are much better in Spain:

Outside my apartment in Spain:

Outside my apartment in Quito:

Bathroom in Spain:


Bathroom in Ecuador:

Meat sold in a store in Madrid:

Meat sold in a restaurant in Quito:


Church in Salamanca:


Church in Quito:


Plaza in Madrid:

Plaza in Quito: 

I could go on; I think I've made my point. There are so many similarities and so many contrasts between the culture and lifestyles of the Spanish and Ecuadorian people.  From the value placed on the family and food to the importance of the plaza and influence of the church, I feel very lucky to have seen and lived in these two different parts of the world. 

(Also, here's a link to the organization that hooked me up with UBECI; I'd highly recommend it if you are looking for some awesome volunteer work! http://www.volunteerhq.org/)

No comments:

Post a Comment