Tuesday, March 6, 2012

KONY 2012

A friend shared with me today this video about a man from the states who found something he was passionate about, and did something about it.  If you have time, check out this video and maybe you'll understand a bit of my frustration, inspiration, and hope I found today.


Some days, I ask myself the question: WHY AM I HERE?  No, not here, alive, on planet earth. I mean here, in Spain.  So far removed from my family, friends, and everything I have back home, it is easy to feel detached from the local community.  It is easy to get frustrated with all the annoying things about daily life: for example, my neighbors are YELLING at each other right now, a dog is barking outside, and across the courtyard a woman is doing dishes, loudly. I have no peace and quite here! And this is not nearly as bad as being woken up at 2 am by the screaming baby I happen to share a wall with....UGH!

Don't get me wrong: I have been so lucky to be here for so long, and to have this opportunity...and I still have more time to make the most of it.  But when I get home, what am I going to do about it?!  On the back of my mind there is work to be done and more dreams to accomplish: grad school, volunteer work (abroad?), teaching English (abroad?), more traveling, and then finding a "real" job. A.k.a., r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y.

And hopefully someday, because of all I have worked towards, I can say I accomplished something meaningful with my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment