Thursday, March 8, 2012

What exactly are tapas???

This is what I had to explain to most of my family when they came to visit.  A silly question, I thought to myself.  How can they not understand what tapas are? But then I thought about it: did I know what tapas were before I arrived in Spain?

The answer is no, not really.

So this is a post dedicated to defining what TAPAS really are.

According to wikipedia, tapas are defined as "a wide variety of appetizers, or snacks, in Spanish cuisine.  They may be cold, or warm."   But it's more than that. Why are they so popular, where do they come from?  Well, the word "tapa" comes from the Spanish verb "tapar," meaning "to cover."  Therefore, a tapa was basically a piece of bread or meat meant to cover a glass of wine when it was served.  According to some, tapas began when a Spanish king, ate small snacks and wine to regain his health, liked the practice so much that he required taverns and restaurants to serve a small serving of food whenever they served alcohol.  The practice stuck, and today, Spain is known for their infamous tapas!

In Granada, it's actually required by law that when somebody orders wine or beer they are also given a tapa, for free!  I loved that!

Me?  Well, I usually get tapas around 6-7pm with my friends after class, as a small snack before dinner, and a chance to hang out for a couple hours.  Because in Spain, you can sit down at a bar or restaurant and stay as long as you want; they will never bring you the bill until you ask for it!  Es muy tranquillo.

I should take a step back and explain: in the Spanish culture it isn't common for people to have friends over to their homes.  It's weird.  It would be like asking your friend to come over and use the bathroom with you at the same time.  It's just not something people do here...I mean, I have lived with a family for 6+ months, and I can count on one hand the number of times somebody has come over to their house to visit (and it was always a family member). Instead, people get together in the streets, in restaurants, and in bars.  Especially tapas bars, and especially in the evening.  That's when the city comes alive!  After afternoon siesta, and before a late 9pm dinner.

And how do you tell which restaurant has the best tapas?  By the litter on the floor. If there are piles of dirty, crumpled napkins littering the floor, it is a sign that people like the food there.

Tapas on display
Tapas as a snack, above
Or a tapa meal, below:

So there you have it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment