Thursday, March 15, 2012

Whoops!

Spring break 2012: planned and booked.

Madrid-Budapest-Munich-Stolkholm-Madrid.  WOW...ambitious.  This should be interesting.

If youre a little jealous...dont be. Well, be a little jealous. But first listen to what I did:

My spring break is Easter week, right?  So I google search the date of Easter.  It pops up as April 15.  Ok, that's a Sunday, I think to myself, which means I'm going to have the whole next week off, from April 12-April 21.  I start looking for flights, and much to my surprise, they're very cheap. REALLY cheap. By cheap, I mean between 12 to 30 euros (plus taxes and fees).  CHEAP.  The cheapest outgoing Madrid flight I can find is go Budapest, so I figure, aw hell, my friend Matt studied there his junior year and LOVED it, so why not?  I'll be alone, but a night or two won't be so bad. In fact, it's economically responsible! My destination is really Munich, because I have a friend living there, but there are no flights from Madrid-Munich on ryanair.  So I go and book the flight, knowing that flights on ryanair fill up quickly, and sometimes waiting a day or two to book a flight can mean the difference between 10 euros and 50 euros.

I go to class, grinning the whole way, excited that I had finally made plans. I tell my friends about it when I get to class, and they're all jealous and everything, saying how cool it is that i decided to travel by myself. I start scribbling in my assignment-book, BUDAPEST SPRING BREAK in blue pen the week of vacation (becasue who actually pays attention in class?), and I'm flipping around, looking at all the pages, counting down  how many days until my trip.  And i see written in GREEN pen, "spring break!"  But it's written a week earlier than April 15th, on the page before April 15th.  Wait, what? I'm so confused!

And that's the moment when I realized the plane ticket I had just booked was for a week later than what I actually wanted...

UGH. Stupid, stupid, stupid me!

But fixable. After class, I booked it home, ate some lunch, and looked up Ryanair's cancellation policy (essentially non-existent). To change any flight automatically costs 50 euro....

Lesson learned: DOUBLE CHECK, then CHECK AGAIN when making plans. This I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment