Monday, March 12, 2012

Los Santos Inocentes

Today, instead of studying (whoops), I watched the classic Spanish film "Los Santos Inocentes."  I was so inspired after trying to read the book, seeking a richer understanding of rural Spain during the 20th century.  Well, the book proved to be more challenging than I could handle, and I would rather spend my last 10 weeks here outside, photographing, enjoying the sunshine and company of friends than trying to sort my way through challenging vocabulary and tedious Spanish literature!  It is the kind of book to be read on a long train ride or by a fireplace during a snowstorm, when you are forced to stay in one place for a long time...

Watching the movie, I fell in love with the images of the rural countryside and the idea of simple living, away from the city and away from civilization.  Set in Extremadura, a province between Castilla y Leon and Andalucia, green rolling hills and giant trees represent promises of a simlpe, peaceful live.  An idealistic love affair, because in reality, theirs was not an easy life.  In that regard, it made me grateful for living now, in the year 2012.  Despite all the problems my generation faces...at least I have access to education and healthcare and a better life!

Once confused by the iconic black and white image I reposted below, an image I have seen so many times, I now understand what each character represnts. I understand their expressions and why they look the way they look.  I cried for the father trying to support his family, and my heart broke watching the young girl work instead of going to school.  I admired the hard work of the mother and brave face that she put on for her family.  It makes me think: what would I do if I was in her shoes?

Anyway, the film, made in the 1980s, follows the life of a poor, uneducated family from the countryside who work for a rich Spanish family.  While it may have been exaggerated for film, seeing the disparity between the rich and poor was quite striking.  The senorito, or rich man, the jefe, wore fancy, designer-label outfits, drove a fancy car, and had enough stuff to fill a large house. Meanwhile the family working for him live in a straw-roof home with dirt floors and study at night by candlelight.  The themes represented in the film (freedom, family, love, friendship, "ignorance is bliss," jealousy, hope for a better future, etc) all serve highlight the class divides that were faced by the post-Franco generation. If you have the chance, check it out! If you haven't already seen it, the ending will definitely surprise you!

And it can be justified as an educational and cultural study break, of course!

The main characters of the film. Image from: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V45jZInH1sw/TwYov9Ens2I/AAAAAAAAAZ0/a-MppIFAOWk/s1600/santos-inocentes-962.jpg  

No comments:

Post a Comment