Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Choices

23 days to go, folks. It's hard to believe.  Looking back at old posts about my initial reactions of Salamanca...I just laugh.  Here's one line that sticks out, from early October:
  • "I read a great quote today: "What we seek, we shall find." I'm excited to figure out what my time in Spain brings me."
So what exactly has my time Spain brought me?  Well, I have learned the language, más o menos. I've learned to be alone. I've traveled to foreign lands, met so many people, tried new foods, and taken thousands of photographs...but really, what have I found and what have I learned?

This I realized last night: learning to dance the Salsa alongside a German girl, a couple Spaniards, in front of our fit teacher from the Dominican Republic, hips thrusting and arms waving to the sexy Latin music, I felt pretty uncomfortable.  An awkward American in bright pink pants and winter boots, trying to move my body to the beat while not tripping over my own feet..."what am I doing?" I thought to myself.  And trying to appear confident and un-awkward at the same time, I realized something: 

We have CHOICES.

As I kept on dancing and the class went on, I felt better and better, feeling the beat of the music as I learned the simple steps of the salsa.  I chose to go to a Salsa class last night, on a whim, because I have been frustrated this past week with how my life here is unfolding.  I am frustrated because I feel as though my Spanish is regressing. It's has been too easy to fall into a routine where I avoid speaking the language, surround myself with English speakers, listen to English music (I mean as I write this, I'm listening to the Beatles), and read only English books and watch English films.

I am choosing to do that. Well, I want to change.  My days are numbered; I have 23 days left. So for the next 23 days my challenge to myself: Embrace Spain.  What will that look like???
  1. Get off facebook.  For goodness sake, this website sucks the life out of us. I can go on facebook any old time. How often can I be in Spain?!
  2. Go out to places I have never been before. Like, maybe I should check out that place where they show indie Spanish films instead of go to my favorite bar, because I am SURE I'll learn something new.
  3. Speak Spanish to whomever I can...because I will miss that when I get back home, I am sure.
  4. Take out my headphones and listen to the language on the street when I'm walking to class.

When I get on the bus May 18th I want to say, "Man, I'm exhausted. I have done so much. I'm tired, and I am ready to go home!" None of this emotional, regretful, tearful goodbye stuff.  I want to look back and say, "Wow, I really tried my hardest to be part of the culture. I love Salamanca, but I am ready to move on!"  


And that might be the best choice I will make this month.  I am still not quite sure what I was "seeking" when I chose to come to Salamanca, and I am trying to figure out what I have "found."   With a few short weeks to go, maybe I can start to answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment