Tuesday, April 17, 2012

München, Deutschland (Munich, Germany)

Ah, Germany. I knew I couldn’t leave Europe without seeing this infamous country.  Having had learned about it in university as one of the more structurally organized and economically strong countries of Europe, and after making friends throughout the years who have close ties to Germany, I knew I would regret it if I did not go. Despite doubts that I wouldn’t be able to afford it, I managed to find a fairly cheap flight from Budapest, so I promised myself I wouldn’t spend much money and just went for it.  While I would have loved to have visited Berlin, I chose Munich because I have a friend who grew up nearby and who currently studies there.  We met last winter, in Quito, and traveled together, and got along quite well. When I left Ecuador, she told me I was always invited to come and visit her...so, I decided to take her up on the offer!
My flight landed in “Munich-West” (aka Memmingham; see my post on “Ryanair”) around 4pm.  I pulled out my phone and called Marike, 
“Hey,” I said, “I’m here! I just landed in Germany! But don’t worry, I’m on a bus about 2 hours away, so no need to rush to the station.”
She responded, confused, “What? You’re in Germany?” 
“Well, yea.” I replied. 
“But I thought you were coming next week!”
Oh. No. No, no, no! My face turned bright red, and I realized immediately the mistake I had made. When booking my flights, I thought that my spring break was the following week, which I soon realized then fixed. But I guess I had forgotten to mention that teeny detail to Marike.
“Oh, gosh! I am so, so sorry!” I said.
“Well,” she said, “I am with my mom today, for her birthday, and I won’t be in Munich tonight.”
There was a pause, and I bit my nails, trying to figure out what to do, feeling horrible, mad at myself for possibly runing my Germany trip.
“But it’s not my fault, right?” She asked me, with her German accent.
“No, no not at all.” I tried explaining to her that I am actually a complete idiot and she should not worry about it, I would be okay in a hostel for the night.  We talked, and I figured out a hostel to stay at close by the train station.
Turns out, that was the best thing I could have had. I spent the evening working on a homework assignment and sleeping, exhausted from Budapest and traveling so much (Bus-plane-taxis-walking-plane-bus riding: it can be exhausting!) I would have been a lousy guest, tired and pooped out.  Around 8pm, siting in the lounge of this really funky hostel, called Wombat Hostel (if you go to Munich, stay there!), I closed my computer, tired of doing homework and annoyed with the loud people sitting next to me.  “Man, you can hear that American accent from a mile away!” I said to the guy sitting on the chair across from me. He was reading a book, and with his gelled back hair and oxford shirt, I figured he was British.  Laughing, he said in an American accent “Yea, sure is annoying sometimes.” We got to talking, swapped study abroad stories, etc, etc.  Around 9pm I decided I was hungry and ventured outside to get some dinner, he went to bed, wanting to sleep before traveling the next day.  
It’s conversations like that, random happenstances, that make me love traveling so much. 
The next day I met Marike at the metro stop by her house.  I recognized her from across street, and man, was I excited to see a familiar face.   She took me back to her apartment and I was so amazed at the brightness and comfortability of her small, organized German apartment. Quite unlike the Spanish-style apartment I am living in!
Despite the rainy weather, we walked around and saw as much as we could.  She taught me a German expression parents say to their children, meaning that you must eat everything on your plate if you want sunshine the next day.  The point was, if we wanted to have good weather the next day, we had to make the most of the bad weather.  Well, we did; we spent 2 hours in the rain! By the end of the day, my feet were cold and wet, I was tired from walking, and I took a relaxing nap on her bed, my feet against the heater, while she made dinner.  After a delicious mushroom and tortilini dinner we met up with her friends, shared a couple beers and hit the town.  

We awoke the next morning to sun shining out the window.  Perfect weather for bike riding is what it was.  She led me around everywhere; we saw Olympic Park, where the 1972 Olypmics were held; we biked to the Royal Palace (there is no Germany royalty anymore); in the English Gardens, the largest urban park in the world, we watched the surfers ride the wave in the river, and we shared white German sausage and cheese next to the Chinese Tower.  We finished the grand tour with coffees at the cafe Marike works at, located on the 5th floor of a tech school with beautiful views of Munich and the mountains. 
The view from Olympic Park



Bretzel!
The view of the palace....wayyy down there!

At the top of the hill at Olympic Park 
Urban river surfers in the English Garden, the largest urban park in the world

That evening, we made dinner with her roommate and her boyfriend. While they could all speak English, conversations all reverted back to German.  No pasa nada, though, because I love to hear other languages. It’s quite beautiful. And, what an opportunity to be in Germany, hanging out with Germany students, experiencing the daily life. I felt like a fly on the wall, just sitting and taking it all in...but that’s what I love. More relaxed after drinking a beer, I asked Marike’s roommate and her friends about their outlook on Germany versus the United States, on Germany compare to the rest of Europe, and their opinions about the EU and eurozone.  Those conversations make what I have learned about in class more real, more interesting.  These Germans, though admittedly claim to know very little about their economy, realize that Germany has the strongest economy in Europe right now, alongside France.  Studying to be teachers, they are hardworking, friendly, and organized people, who adhere to schedules and do not stay out partying like the Spanish.  Watching them prepare dinner was the most efficient process I have seen 20-something-yearolds do.  



But the most interesting conversation we had was about the educational system in Germany, and how it works.  I am still trying to wrap my mind around it!  Did you know that in Germany, at age 11-12, kids take a test that determine what middle/high school they can go to? And only students who go to the "A-level" schools can attend university. Basically, at age 12 it's decided if you will able to study at university! University which is essentially free, as long as grades are kept up.  It was fascinating hearing their opinions and viewpoints.  

Somehow or another, the evening ended with me trying on Marike’s traditional dress, and with her friend in his lederhosen (leather shorts), long socks, sweater, and shoes.  The Bavarian pride they all had rubbed off; how I would love to come back someday!
All evening I kept saying “I must learn German!” and at that point, my life goal was to move to Berlin and work at a hostel (somewhere like the Wombat hostel) and learn to speak this strange, tough language, German. Sad to say goodbye, I am sure Marike and I will meet again.  Now it was off to the next country, another adventure: SWEDEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment