Monday, April 2, 2012

frustration!

I lost my phone this weekend while I was out on Friday evening, so I had to file a police report.  Not fun!  But what is most frustrating is my inability to clearly communicate the police report over the phone.  I tried speaking in Spanish, but confused, I gave up and asked for an English speaker. I felt embarrassed, frustrated, and stupid.  Why is it that after 6+ months of living here and learning Spanish, I can't hold a phone conversation! You would think I would be savvy enough to have a phone conversation in Spanish.  But nope; over the phone, it is nearly impossible! Without being able to watch a persons lips and body language and see their facial expressions, surprisingly, it is much harder to understand.

What was MOST frustrating, however, was the way I was treated over the phone by the Spanish police woman.  Rude, impatient, and demanding when she couldn't initially understand me, I felt so stupid.  After numerous failed attempts at trying to spell out my last name, I had to pass the phone to my ISA director and have him finish the conversation for me in Spanish.  How disappointing!

Even in restaurants and stores, costumer service is unheard of, a contrast from America where corporations pride themselves on serving the costumer first.  While I never-ever-ever want to leave this place....I am definitely excited to get back to the Land of "How Can I Help You?"

So happy Monday! While mind didn't start off as pleasantly as I would have liked, it is Semana Santa (Easter week) and I can't wait to see the parades! More on that to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment