Saturday, April 7, 2012

Travel Essentials

Packing for my spring break trip next week, I realized I've got this whole "living out of a backpack" thing down to a science.  My first "Euro trip" was to Portugal with ISA; my bag was packed with way too many clothes, and of course, I brought a huge purse.  Mistake! I was weighed down the whole weekend with too much STUFF.  Since then, I have learned.  LESS IS MORE!  


What I always travel with:
  • TOOTHBRUSH + TOOTHPASTE: you would be surprised how easy this is to forget, and how much of a hassle it can be to buy a new one. Without a toothbrush, your day can be absolutely miserable! 
  • Quick dry towel: you mean you want to charge me 5 euros to rent a ratty, worn towel? No thank you! I would rather spend my money on food, postcards, etc! Mine cost about $20 back in the states. Worth it.
  • Silk sleeping bag: Common complaints when traveling: “you mean it’s another 5 euros to rent sheets?” Or, “are these seriously the linens I am supposed to sleep on tonight?” Save yourself the drama and bring your own sheets. You would be surprised at much more “at home” you can feel when you are in your own sheets. Mine rolls up and is no bigger than a pair of socks. Definitely worth the $30 I spent on in back in the states.
  • Chapstick: nothing is more annoying than having to spend your money on another lip balm when you know you have, like, 5 more back at home somewhere. Plus I always get chappped lips when I'm flying in airplanes. It's weird, I know.
  • A small journal: for when I am bored, inspired, lost and need to write down directions, and it’s fun to look back and read. You can take as many pictures as you want, but it's not the same as the written word.  Even if you're tired and really want to go to bed, be sure to scribble down a few words about what you saw that day.
  • Clean socks and underwear: I have gone 3 days wearing the exact same pants, shirt and sweater. Because who wants to pay the 50 euro fee to check your bag? NOT ME! (I’ve learned that the hard way…). But you should never forfeit clean socks and underwear or you will feel gross! 
  • A small sewing kit: because how annoying is it to have a missing button, ripped leggings? Plus it’s so small, it hardly takes up any space. If you don't know how to sew, learn. It's quite easy.
  • I ALWAYS forget this, and always kick myself for forgetting: FLIP FLOPS. Most hostel floors are pretty grimy. Especially the same-gender communal showers. Save yourself the worry and bring a pair of plastic shower shoes for peace of mind. 
  • Your passport. Seems like a no-brainer. Do you know how horrible it is to make it all the way to the Madrid-airport only to realize that special little document is still sitting at home on your desk? And guess what, the airline company is not going to make any exceptions. So my poor friend Adam missed his flight to Dublin last October and spent the weekend kicking himself.
  • My ipod:  I am a child of a generation dependent on technology and the internet. BI hate that sometimes.  ut it has seriously helped me figure out directions, find forgotten phone numbers; it's a place I can write down addresses and names, I can play games, listen to music. It's great.  And much lighter than my laptop!  
  • Earplugs and an eyemask: Because I guarantee there will be a crying baby on your flight when all you want to do is sleep; there will be somebody that snores loudly in your hostel; most likely "that guy" will turn on the lights at 2am because he can't find his toothbrush and when he forgets to turn off the lights, you will want to strangle him.  Take care of yourself. Who cares if you look like a diva, you are well rested!
  • A sense of ADVENTURE: be willing to get lost, laugh at yourself, and meet new people. The best memories I have from traveling were unplanned and unpredictable. Be smart, but don’t stay locked up in the hotel all weekend on facebook! That's lame.
What I avoid traveling with:
  • My computer. Because it is HEAVY and takes up space, plus I hate leaving it in the hostel when I'm out exploring.   But let's be honset: about 50% of the time I take it with me for connivence sake.  
  • More than one sweater/jacket. They take up way too much space!
  • Excess shoes. Because like sweaters, they take up too much space!
  • Boring people. Debbie Downers. Negative Nancy's. People that WHINE.  Just leave 'em back home or at the hostel and go off and enjoy! Do not let somebody ruin your potentially once-in-a-lifetime weekend!
If you think you need more than what can fit into a backpack, you might want to reconsider how you live your life!
Me and my trusty backpack in Italy for the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment