Friday, April 20, 2012

Lunes de Agua

A.K.A., the day when the prostitutes are allowed to come back into Salamanca by crossing the river the Monday after Easter.  Because obviously that sort of business was not allowed during the Lenten season back in the day.

Traditionally, a food called "Hornazo" is eaten in celebration of the strange holiday (which is only celebrated in Salamanca).  Basically, hornazo a meat pie, with thick crust surrounding layers of ham, pork, and cheese.  Sounds weird...but it's delicious!  My host mom baked it, and gave me one when I went to the river Monday afternoon.  As I walked down I noticed all the shops were closed and everybody, I mean everybody was down at the river.  It was sunny, warm; one of the greatest afternoons I have had in Salamanca!

Surrounded by students enjoying the first warm, sunny day in a while, it is a day in Salamanca I will not forget!
People by the Puente Romano 
So many people!
Me, with friends
...so much garbage :(

No comments:

Post a Comment